How fluxgate magnetometers work
Satured, unsatured, repeat!
A fluxgate An instrument to measure magnetic flux density (B) or magnetic field intensity (H).... consists of a soft-iron core with two coils wrapped around it: a drive coil and a sense coil. An alternating voltage drives the core continuously through a complete hysteresis cycle, from saturation in one direction to saturation in the other. The sense coil measures the The magnetic flux density, B, integrated over an area. The voltage induced in a coil is proportional to the flux... changes in the core.
Gating the flux
The magnetic permeability of the core – the slope of the B vs. H curve – is modulated as the core goes into and out of saturation: unsaturated, the core has the high permeability of soft iron, saturated, it suddenly drops to the low permeability of free space. This means that the The magnetic flux density, B, integrated over an area. The voltage induced in a coil is proportional to the flux... density B in the core due to an external field H is also modulated; one can think of the The magnetic flux density, B, integrated over an area. The voltage induced in a coil is proportional to the flux... due to the external field being switched off as the core saturates, and back on as the core desaturates – hence the name “fluxgate”. Clever demodulation schemes allow the The magnetic field is a vector quantity. We may be interested in its individual components or its total magnitude.... of this gated field to be measured by the sense coil.
The devil is in the detail
Although the basic principle is relatively straightforward, the actual performance depends on many factors:
– Core material: To maximize the signal, the core material should be as magnetically “soft” as possible, with a very narrow The characteristic of ferromagnetic materials that they remain magnetized when the external field is removed. See also B/H loop.... and sharp saturation point. Other characteristics of the core material, such as temperature coefficient, isotropy, and long-term stability, determine crucial other sensor characteristics.
– Core geometry: Clever core geometries dramatically improve the sensitivity by canceling the direct transmission of the drive to sense signal. One such geometry uses two parallel cores, with the drive coil wound in opposite directions. The sense coil is wound around the pair so that the The magnetic flux density, B, integrated over an area. The voltage induced in a coil is proportional to the flux... generated by the two drive coils cancel out.
– Multi-axis: Another core geometry is a ring, with the drive coil wound toroidally and the sense coil around the entire ring – a straightforward extension of the parallel-rod design. The direction of the sense coil determines the sensitive direction of the sensor; two orthogonal sense coils on the same ring make an XY sensor, and with two rings, one can make an XYZ sensor. Note that in this design, the axes are centered on a single point.
– Synchronous detection: A single cycle of the drive voltage causes two saturation/desaturation signals from the sense coil: once in the forward and once in the reverse direction. Synchronous 2nd harmonic detection can, therefore, be used to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.
– Feedback: The dynamic The range of a probe is defined by the minimum and maximum field strength it can measure. On an instrument,...菠萝蜜视频app官网安卓 and linearity can be significantly enhanced by using the fluxgate signal as a null detector. It controls a current that is fed back into either the sense coil or a separate feedback coil, nulling out the external field.
菠萝蜜视频app官网安卓– Frequency response: A higher drive frequency allows a higher sensor bandwidth, but needs to be traded off against the sensitivity.
菠萝蜜视频app官网安卓– Demodulation electronics: The demodulator must be carefully designed to optimize noise, offset, bandwidth, and the temperature coefficient.
– During calibration, the instrument reading is compared to one or more references to verify its accuracy. The references themselves need...: To achieve good Accuracy is how close a measure conforms to reality. Even if our NMR Teslameter displays 9 digits, we claim 5..., a proper During calibration, the instrument reading is compared to one or more references to verify its accuracy. The references themselves need... technique is paramount. Given the high sensitivity of fluxgate sensors, it is especially challenging to create the right zero reference field.
TFM1186 Fluxgate Magnetometer
Pre-installation site survey
菠萝蜜视频app官网安卓Magnetic background monitoring
Want to know more ?
菠萝蜜视频app官网安卓Contact us for more information !